Jan 27, 2009

Taking My Own Advice


Okay, so I don't have anything particularly profound to write about... it's been a bit of an emotional rollercoaster lately. But I have been busy this week - catching up on taking my own advice.

First up, reading. Yes, I know, the other part of the writing advice that I regularly give out (despite the fact that I'm really not qualified to do so) is that you've got to read to write. And yet, I haven't read anything that hasn't come with a glossy cover for months. So, I went to the local Barnes & Noble and went NUTS. Five books. Yup, five. In no particular order:

Erik Larson - The Devil in the White City - A book recommended by a friend that I've intended to buy on at least two other occasions, but never got it to the counter. Plus it won a whole bunch of awards... generally a good sign - and it's good so far.

Stephen King - On Writing
-- A book recommended by an (about to be published) author I know. I've read just about everything else by Mr. King, including his seven book opus, The Dark Tower (which had the greatest ending in the history of storytelling). So I figured, why not?

Arthur C. Clarke - 3001, The Final Odyssey - As a general rule, Science Fiction has the most bad writing of any genre outside of "Romance" - so I tend to steer clear. Additionally, it has a well-deserved stigma of attracting a socially awkward and disconnected audience. Which despite my previous charter membership, is a group I'm no longer a part of. There are however, a few gems that I've found that really are quite worth the read. I last read this book in college - and remember being blown away by the vision of the world a thousand years from now... especially one based on some real research. I'm truly excited to read this with my adult brain. We'll see if it's still as good.

Clive Barker - Mister B. Gone - The book opens with the following:

"Burn this Book. Go on, BURN THIS BOOK. Go on. Quickly, while there's still time. Burn it. Don't look at another word. Did you hear me? Not. One. More. Word."

Now tell me you wouldn't read that... So, turns out it's about a demon trapped in a book. The one you're holding. I know. Some deeply dark and very cool shit. Plus Clive Barker is just sick enough to be scary without being stupid. I shouldn't be as excited as I am to read it.

Greg Cox - Infinite Crisis - Okay this one's a discount rack dog. But my guilty reading pleasure is reading novel adaptations of comic books. Shut up. You read Danielle Steele when no one's looking.

Second, I finally submitted some query letters to write an article for Gourmet magazine. I know it's not Esquire, but I'd like to have something besides my Broo articles and my blog to attach as clips when I finally send a letter in to my favorite magazine. We'll see how that goes.

Finally, I'm going to visit my best friend - who I've been neglecting for far too long. Case-in-point, I'm taking him his Christmas present... on January 27th. And I'm late.

Stay tuned!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

I've read "Devil In The White City" - I enjoyed it.

Have also heard good things about "On Writing".

The Clive Barker one sounds great. I'll put it on the list.

MissWatermelons said...

Mister B gone sounds great! Lemme know how it goes :)

I read Devil before... it was good.