Feb 24, 2009

One Hell of a Pitch


Okay, so once I mention "my book" to friends, they immediately want to know what it's about - mostly because I didn't really tell anyone besides my co-author that I was writing it. I suppose I just wanted to make sure the whole thing was really going to happen before I got my friends and family all excited about it... but since the project is moving forward - I thought I'd share a rough transcript of what I pitched to those literary agents last weekend, which I hope will suffice as a good answer the oft-posed question above. If not, feel free to send me follow up questions... although, if you do, don't be surprised if you end up getting mentioned in a subsequent piece (you've been warned).

* * *

Hi, my name's Glenn, and I've got a funny book - but first let me tell you a little about me:

I'm an Annapolis man; a Stanford-trained L.A. lawyer who spent three years moonlighting as a cheerleader for the Clippers. I have a membership to tanning salon, a celebrity gym and a grocery co-op. I'm your prototypical L.A. guy - a do-er.

I've written a book with Jen.

Jen is a big city girl-next-door. A San Francisco high-rise desk jockey, who's funnier than she is flashy. She can most often be seen on the sidelines watching it all go by. She's the consummate observer.

We like to refer to ourselves as Generation C - a generation of kids who came of age between the 80's, which thought were ridiculous but had good music, and the 90's which we thought should ditch the flannel and get a decent bath. We're a generation without a voice - misfits, if you will. But if you ask any of us, individually, we've all got something to say.

We met at the nation's top citizen journalism website (www.broowaha.com) where we are both top writers, amassing over 150,000 individual article views between us.

We call it "Smart Mouths: Generation C tells it like it is from both sides of the gender coin"

We took on ten topics - from sex and dating to religion and politics; each expressing our own independent point of view and then, in writing, commenting on the other's. It reads more like a conversation than a collection, and much like talking with anyone from Gen C, it's sharp, blunt and pointed, but it's also funny. That's how we communicate best, getting our point across with humor.

In the end, we found that although being a part of this generation can at times seem very intellectually lonely, and as though we are adrift between the well-defined Generation X and Generation Y, we have a collective voice and identity of our own - and that's really what the book is about.

(Coming to a bookstore near you!)


1 comment:

jsm said...

I, for one, can't wait!

Can I get my copy signed?

-joe