Feb 23, 2009

Well met, and too soon forgotten


I almost forgot to mention... okay, I did actually forget to mention... My mea culpa follows.

Amidst my weekend romp through SF - I connected up with a good friend from law school who's living and practicing in The City. This is extraordinary for a number of reasons:

First and foremost, I don't have a lot of friends from law school. The transition from public school and public service to private school was one that I wasn't quite ready for. Nothing can really prepare for the slap in the face that is being the public school kid in a room full of kids born to privilege and promise. "Oh you're doing Spring Break in Vietnam? That's great! Me? Oh, I'm going to go out for a few drinks... on consecutive nights." I didn't take it well. But, amidst countless dozens of people who I hope to never, ever see again - there were some truly spectacular people that I'm lucky to have spent that time with. Brett is amongst these precious few.

Second, I'm not a San Francisco type of guy - this is something you'll no doubt read or have read more of if you follow my ramblings with any regularity. The fact that I've located friends in a place like SF surprises even me. I prefer to think of Brett as an LA guy who's trapped in SF because of a good job opportunity... I'm sure he won't agree.

So this is Brett. And what's amazing about Brett is that if you ever meet him - you'll have no idea that there is a river of funny and interesting prose running through his brain. He's not really a quiet guy, per se - it's just that he sometimes keeps the company of very loud and gregarious sorts (i.e. me) and it makes him seem that way. But, over the course of a few too many cocktails at the Big 4 (at the Huntington Hotel), I believe that I've finally convinced him to share his musings with the world at large - in what I believe will be a forthcoming blog. It will be good... trust me. Brett's been an "inside man" for some pretty crazy adventures - and you will want to read about them.

Perhaps he'll even respond to this post with the title and web address so you can just click on over... only time will tell.

Point being, I forgot to mention - in a forum that is alleged to announce the more significant incidents in my life - a very significant reunion. My apologies to Brett and to you all.

No comments: